Sunday, November 27, 2011

Sacrifice

Sacrifice. That's what it takes to get to your goals, especially the health ones. You may also call it "re-prioritization" as I like to. You are not giving something else up but upping the better habits each day, so it crowds out the bad habits.
For instance, last Monday I needed to go see my Edward, pictured below, starring in the Twilight movie. One of my not-so-hidden pleasures (but don't get me wrong, I am not all about the vampire craze).

Twilight Edward Cullen

But Monday's are my at-home workout day, the weights workout that Emilia has given me to do once per week.

So, sometime, before going to the movie on Monday, I had to go to the gym. As 10 pm was not feasible after the movie, morning before work it became.

This is the time I left the house (AM!)...although it's not that late, for a Monday morning, early, hard workout ahead, and work after that, it was a bit of a struggle:


Do you notice how everything else is black? Like the world? That's because the sun wasn't even up yet!

I felt a little more sluggish than usual, as my metabolism struggled to awaken, and the exercises definitely felt a little harder than they do at night.

At points, I had to remind myself constantly that "I am doing this for Edward, I am doing this for Edward, fight for the movie!".

But, hard workout as it was, it set me up for a great confident day at work, and I loved the feeling that I had already done my workout and could enjoy my evening. And I did! Edward and Jacob did not disappoint.

I re-prioritized my life to fit everything in. The most important person in my life is me right now, which means that missing a workout is not an option, and making healthy choices take precedance over non-healthy choices. If you make a lot of healthy choices, it adds up!

With the holiday season fast approaching, when a choice between good and evil comes my way, I have the following things sitting on my shoulders helping to weigh the decisions:


  /images/swatches/black.gif

Emilia on one shoulder                                                        

and

the Bridesmaid dress on the other

1) What would Emilia do?

2) How important is it for me to have this bad food, if it means I will not meet my goals on May 20th wearing that bridesmaid dress? Will the satisfaction of having this chocolate chip cookie left on the counter that I know is super delicious (for example) outweigh the adrenaline of meeting my goals?

The chocolate chip cookies were given to someone else, and not devoured by me. Instead, our fridge is a thing of glory packed with fruit and veggies and yogurt:



Mmm veggies!

Consciousness and re-prioritization. Is it worth it? Yes. It will be.

Fight the lazy!

As a sidenote, I want to share this pic of the gorgeous pomegranetes at T&T today - such colour, but so much work just to eat!

















1 comment:

  1. Haha Ashley you crack me up:-). Good work on the re-prioritization. Trust me the am workouts get easier!
    As a side note...I especially liked your pomegranate rant;-). My old room mate Steph used to always eat them and I could never understand! Way too much work!!!

    ReplyDelete